SB 419 IMPOSES ARBITRARY SAFETY MEASURES ON ONE OF THE NATION’S SAFEST INDUSTRIES
- SB 419 was introduced under the guise of “safety,” yet the oil and gas industry is already one of the safest industries in California and the nation. More than 25 federal, state and local agencies oversee oil and gas production in California, which has the most stringent regulations in the world.
- California’s oil and gas industry has consistently reported impressive safety records. The acceptable Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) is 3, and the state’s oil and gas industry has consistently reported well under the acceptable TRIR and outperformed similar industries.
- Oil and Gas Pipeline Construction: .56 TRIR
- Oil and Gas Extraction: .8 TRIR
- Water & Sewer Line Work: 2 TRIR
- Manufacturing: 3 TRIR
- Agriculture: 5.7 TRIR
- Foundries Work: 6.9 TRIR